7.06.2011

Forever Neverland (a big fat post)

"I have a place where dreams are born and time is never planned. It's not on any chart; you must find it in your heart. It's Never Never Land." - Peter Pan
Months before Alex's 3rd birthday, she planted the seed for her ultimate birthday celebration.  At the time, Alex loved the story of Peter Pan - the book, the movie, the characters, the fantasy of it all.  
And my imaginative little storyteller let me know that she wanted me to invite Wendy, John, Michael, Peter, Tinkerbell, & Hook; oh and that she wanted a cake with all the characters flying overhead.  And that all she wanted for her birthday were 2 balloons and a Wendy Darling dress made by the one and only mama.  Check, check, and check.  

I fell prey like a hooked trout, and I ran away with the concept of hosting a Never Land dress up party.  I had partners in crime - Cindy and Shannon - who sent me endless number of links to Pan-related Etsy posts or became my sounding board for party details.

I had the perfect setting under the Oak tree at the marina. 

Ben helped me set up posts so that we could string up old fashioned lights.  And Mark, who happens to be Shannon's husband, routed out a large piece of barnacle-encrusted driftwood to say "Hangman's Tree."  It's as if he read my mad mind...

And to top it off, the man has mad rope-tying skills.  He hung the sign up on the big oak tree and then made a clothes line from the remaining line.  The dream into action was so much better when intermingled with a slew of sailing knots and a clothesline post made from an old wood oar.

The tables were topped with gold-toned runners, pan hats, pixie dust and dried roses.



And the food was served under the second star on the right.


There was plenty of fairy dust and pixie sticks for the crowd.

Even though details equate to a great loss in sleep, I was motivated by creating a fantasy world for the children.  
Here's my one tough Lost Boy, Nate. And one amazing fairy fantasy house for Alex.

There was a plank to walk



Yes, the plank says "Oh No!"
 a tipi with a (simulated) fire for the pow-wow

Thanks Poppy for the awesome tipi!
 a tattoo parlor

a treasure hunt filled with booty

and space for wings to flap and for swords and imaginations to swing wildly.



As for that cake…. Mama achieved giving Alex a pink cake with the characters "flying" mid-air.  It looked awesome, but oh baby, it tasted even better!


Most of all, I achieved creating a moment of Never Land for the children and giving them a space where they could be kids. 



At the last minute everyone ran for Mermaid Lagoon (aka the Marina pool), which rounded off an well-paced evening of fun, friendship, and a whole lotta sugar. 

As I placed her to bed that evening, she gave me a big hug and kiss and said in her little voice, "Oh Mama, thank you so much."  Oh baby, I can feel your gratitude.  I would do it all again, and yes, I love celebrating your life. xo


P.S. A big shout out to Cindy and to Mark for being my personal photographers.  Sorry, this mama got a bit too busy taking care of way too many details.  Love you for documenting life.




2 comments:

Adriana Iris said...

i love love love your blog

Unknown said...

What a fantastic party. I loved each and every detail! So beautiful. Wishing her the happiest year!