8.13.2011

On (Vineyard) Time

I used to have a small black Honda CRX that I lovingly named "spot".  If you know anything about manual cars, there's a part of the transmission called the synchronizer.  If the synchronizer is not working correctly, shifting in either direction generates a temporary snag like the grinding of teeth with a handful of sand in there to boot.  It used to make me jump, apologize to the car, and somehow gingerly try to continue shifting, forcing the car to move in the direction I so desired. Sometimes I feel my synchronizer is wearing out when I cannot achieve my set goals or focus on my tasks; and in the process of moving forward, I get caught by surprise.  And I resist, catching gears, grinding until I am forced to keep going.  Ugh. That's what my days are, frosted like a cake with a little one who won't go to sleep, resisting, grinding in her own measure.  I'm left deflated, defeated, heading to bed without time to recharge.  All things creative sit in piles.
::
If I don't have the time to sit and sew for a few hours, I can reset myself through a good run.  It's the escape from my surroundings, forcing fresh air into my lungs, exhaling the stress, flushing my head and body of all things negative.  As my dear friend Shannon said the other night, "You don't need much to run.  Just good shoes."  She's so right.  

So tonight when I came home stumbling in my own skin, I knew that it was time to strap on those shoes, and entice Alex to go along for the ride.
I push the Chariot (aka the BOB), pick a variety of flowers for Alex, and as I run, we talk about why we should only pick a few instead of her desire for "yots and yots."  
Nice bouquet, eh?
We hope to see a deer, a fox, or maybe a turtle, but sometimes just talking and being together is all we need. She's my girl.
Hello sunflower! So nice for you to greet us after our run.


During my summer runs, I leave the Ipod on the dresser.  There's no need. We live near the water, so I like to soak in the noises of my surroundings.  The orchestra of cicadas clacking, the peepers and birds interjecting, the sound of airhorns blasting to signal the end of a weekly sailboat race.  By far, it doesn't suck.
Did I mention how proud Alex was to hold her first sunflower? She even gave it a little voice, & it had a lot to say.


We run through the woods near our house, and I say to Alex "Listen to that.  What do you hear?" and she says, "Oh Mommy, that's the sound of summer. Oooo."


And those woods may be limited, but they remind Ben and me of Martha's Vineyard.  The trees line a narrow two lane road, canopying the surface. Poison ivy blanketing the ground.  The wooded path that I follow parallels the road, and with the sun setting, I capture an Island moment even if only for a hot second. Oh it's good.


::
The Vineyard is the one place where I can go and feel balanced from the moment I step onto the ferry. Ben & I have been going there since both of us were children, long before we met.  His family vacationed there when he was a child.  And both of us and our siblings grew up going to FOCUS camps.  My dearest friend Christina and I met as leaders at a FOCUS camp 20 years ago. And Ben & I wed on the island 19 years ago, surrounded by just our family, celebrating our love.  Between Ben's sister and Christina, we have the opportunity to be on "Vineyard time" a few times a year.


And the best part about the Vineyard?  Limited cell service.  It's funny but an expected activity to watch all of the adults try to function normally without a signal.  It takes me the first day to adjust and then I gladly turn the phone off for the week. I can feel myself reseting, releasing, letting go, finding balance. See ya Verizon.
::  
This summer's adventure did not disappoint.
 Within an hour of arriving, we grabbed buckets and nets and headed straight for the beach.  

Last year Alex was terrified of the surf and the noise it made rolling over the rocks.  This year, I had to drag her off of beach. Alex spend hours romping, running, singing, and dancing around the water.  Oh, my little fairy.


Alex simply loves Grey and Gunnar, and Christina and I cherish watching the kids grow up together. And as much as we use the kids as the excuse, Christina and I love to spend concentrated time together, hiking for miles, talking about garden design, business, & our families.  Just. Being. Friends. I love her so.




::
There was plenty of time spent at the beach.  The inlet at Menemsha at low tide is the perfect spot for children to hunt for crabs, moon jellies, and star fish.  It's childhood nirvana.




With the help of squid chunks, we were on the hunt.
Polly was completely disgusted handling the squid.  Gunnar, not so much.




Christina took the prize home for capturing the greatest number of crabs.  She took her job very seriously and shushed everyone away.


Cousins.


















Oh, and I love this little one.


::
We spent another day paddling kayaks in the harbor.  


We all partnered up with a kid and headed off.


Polly was my partner and was keen enough to slither on and off the kayak without flipping the boat. Much appreciated sista!




Cari and I shared a funny "only with a kid" moment out on the water.
(This adventure is reason 224 as to why I should have a waterproof point and shoot.)


We returned to the beach to share pizza and the craziest chocolate chip cookies ever, and the kids got right to work. Grant & Polly created a minnow trap, and Alex and Gunnar focused on pushing Ben into the water.  




















He's a clown.  He's only in a 1' of water. But oh how it made the kids bubble with laughter.






















::
In order to maintain a level of sanity, I always bring a huge bag of supplies and toys for the kids.  Activities, crafts, distractions…call it what you want, but happy children = happy parents.  We did tie dying again this year and Grey got a one-on-one lesson on folding techniques.  After seeing his frustration last year, I knew he would appreciate the extra attention and could walk into the activity feeling confident and prepared. 
Seriously, does Tie Dying ever get old?
Alex decided dying her feet purple would be better than applying it to the cloth.  And why did I thing that Grey would use his skin as a canvas first?  Oh they share the same spirit for sure.

::
There were so many other moments that made this vacation, but seriously, the beach always wins.  
Longpoint is by far my favorite site - a fresh water lagoon and the ocean separated ever so slightly by a belt of dunes. 


And on the beach, kids only need sunscreen and shovels.  Their imaginations fill in the spaces between.


Have I mentioned my deep love for this child?


Oh girl, I love your more than chocolate and cake.


There were so many other moments at the Vineyard that made us laugh and forced me to find my center. I wish that I could feel that way everyday, but then again it's special to have those moments. So for now, I'll keep working through the kinks and hope that a combination of running and creative activities will help synchronize my soul and keep me in the moment without hesitation. I cannot lie.  It's all good.


2 comments:

The Salty Dogs said...

So glad you three got this time. It definitely looks like heaven. Can't wait to hear some summer with you soon.

Karen said...

What a great trip to the beach! Good to hear you got some family and re-centering time. Love all the pictures.