1.07.2011

Bending and Flexing

























The word Reflection comes from the latin word to bend back. And 2010 was a year of a change in tide, of bending and flexing, and of motioning towards a balance that I truly craved.

Ever since Alex's birth, there has been a severe imbalance between work and life. The new responsibilities that ensued from a merger devoured both my time and my energy. A 60 hour work week became the norm, and I found myself drowning in my need to do it all. My problem was obvious: I cared too much. My solution: to hit wall and then focus on the pieces that mean most to me - my child, my family, my friends, and my life. Noted, but easier said than done.

So 2010 became the year of the dichotomy - I aimed to restore serenity while at the same time, expanding my mad cake designing skills. I wanted to master fondant and 3D designs, and here are some examples of what I was able to accomplish.

First, Rice Krispies can be molded into anything you wish

















Fondant is NOT forgiving (but thank God I just had enough to finish Alex's cake!)























Make a (small) cake for a friend just for practice sake

















Have fun and think outside of the (cake) box

















Take a chance and step outside of your comfort zone.

















And if you're left wondering, I found balance. I care less and yet I care more. And I will never forget the importance of living in today and for today.




2 comments:

boatbaby said...

I forgot aboout Frog on a Log! How could I, I loved him!
Balance can be found in dark chocolate and a glass of tea/ wine/ coffee depending on the mood and time of day :)

The Salty Dogs said...

Glad to be your guinea pig whenever you want to practice cake. And so grateful that my little family was on the receiving end of so much of that cake love!