6.26.2011

Key to a Celebration

Around Alex's birthday, we had the opportunity as a family to travel to the Florida Keys to celebrate a friend's wedding.  As a gardener, I was amazed at variety of flora.  


I still can't get over Coconuts dangling from above.  I was in horticultural culture shock.


::
We stayed in a resort in Key Largo and had little reason to leave the premises. Beaches, pools, hammocks. Yeah baby.


Alex couldn't get enough of hunting for little salamanders.  




And as you can imagine, we spent plenty of time on the beach.




Looking for sea treasures.


Tossing coconuts in the water.


Discovering new games
Anyone know the name of this game?  And to confirm, Alex did pelt me right in the camera.
::
Daddy and the girl.  I love the freedom resulting from her maturity and now I enjoy watching their bond weave tighter.   




::
As for the wedding, it was beautiful moment for Nate & Sherri.  (I will admit though that I'm glad that I wasn't wearing a long, hot, fancy dress.  Phew!).  And speaking of dresses, may I introduce the handmade Wendy Darling dress - Alex's one request for her birthday.
Dress made in 5 sleepless evenings. Watch Alex showing-off it's range of motion.




The post ceremony cocktail hour outside with a setting sun, dancing, and a steel band got the night off on the right note.




That evening, Alex found her inner party animal.


The resident preschoolers danced like waves on the ocean.  
So this is what happens when you forget your flash and try to capture a speeding child…ghost-like images!
I sat on the edge of the dance floor and said "boo" over and over to 6 kids as they ran and giggled in circles.  I was the light. They were the silly moths encircling me.


And this is what a party animal looks like the next morning.  Please no paparazzi. 


We spent the remaining time in Florida, driving through the Keys but never quite making it down to Key West.  We are savoring that moment for a future family adventure.
View of the 7 mile bridge from our table at the Sunset Grill. 

::
And the best celebration yet was a birthday (and a birth day).  Yes, we invited unicorns to the event and even landed a Mickey Mouse pancake. All because she is 3. I never expected her to be such a person at a young age.  I am fascinated by her maturity and thoughts. And I still savor the moment that I became her mother.


::


“I want a life that sizzles and pops and makes me laugh out loud...and I want my everyday to make God belly laugh, glad that he gave life to someone who loves the gift." - Shauna Niequist 


Snap. Crackle. Pop. I'm loving it.








3 comments:

boatbaby said...

Ok that no paparazzi shot is PERFECTION! The whole trip looks lovely. So where is the next birthday post - ahem? :)

Happiness is... said...

Can you tell that I"m catching up? Birthday post in the process. I finished editing and uploading shots last night…patience my dear. (I think Jana is on the verge of shooting me at this point!)

Karen said...

Like.