11.19.2011

Hooky

A few weeks ago, I played hooky from work in order to spend a quality day of goofing-off with my dear friend Shannon at the Maryland Zoo.  The timing was perfect: a) It was my first day in weeks to walk away from work without the overwhelming pressure of deadlines, b) I was given free admission tickets by my local Managing Partner, and c) God gave us a day full of sun, blue skies, mild temperatures and space to run wild.  


Nate is growing up so fast.  He's no longer a baby, but a partner in crime.  Alex enjoys the shift.


::The zoo is full of the obvious, but it's a pleasure to see the excitement through a child's eyes.  There's a fascination of watching your child timidly feed a giraffe some lettuce, observe a baby elephant lumber around, or yell at the polar bears in hopes of waking them up.  It fills you with joy and pride.






And somehow, the smallest inhabitants of the zoo, the frogs, left the two of them speechless.


I will admit that I have a fondness for the primates, which must be a result of spending days of my childhood at The Philadelphia Zoo (they still have the most amazing primate section!).


:: Discovery comes in all sizes.  A pinecone catches Nate's attention in the petting zoo.


My friend Christina and I recently agreed that we feel more aware of life, more grateful of the changing seasons, & appreciative of simple blessings since bearing children.  


As if the clarity and brightness on each picture of life is sharper and bolder.  


My heart is thankful every day for this journey.

2 comments:

The Salty Dogs said...

A wonderful day, indeed! Thanks for sharing it with us.

boatbaby said...

Absolutely! And that little Nate? I am going to eat him with a spoon!