2.16.2011

I. Heart. This.



Oh Valentines Day. It comes and goes like blood rushing through a heart. It's one of those holidays that I grappled to understand for years: a singular day to express one's appreciation and affection. Seriously? Why not make everyday an opportunity to show one's admiration instead of one stinking day? Ben & I used to joke about February 14th being the ultimate Hallmark Holiday, and coined it "Volunteer's Day" - you need a volunteer to have a Valentine. Right? Right.

But when you have a child and that little soul makes you fall in love even deeper with the one you originally loved, well...I get it. I changed. I am changing. And as love gushes in and out again and again, so does the glitter and the colored paper and the cookie dough and the red hots.

The crafting has been constant for the past few weeks, but it's a good distraction from the saturating grey of winter.

Alex spent hours fiddling with (kid) scissors, glue, glitter, and glitter glue pens.

And I was inspired by my dear friend Cindy to create crayon hearts for our friends. What a terrific project for kids under 10 years old. Alex and I enjoyed both the process of destroying crayons and watching new ones evolve. 


And I took an evening to revamp a hooded towel for a Salty Dog who has a healthy-sized noggin.

And speaking of that D-O-double G, he is so cute at 13 months and signing his little head off. Warning to all, when Nate asks for more food, give it to him! Don't question the ingested volume; just hand it over and step aside.

What I enjoyed not doing this holiday? Making breakfast. I love watching Alex and her Dad make pancakes together. They make a great team. And oh, how he loves her.


What I did enjoy? Cooking. And my seasonal favorite is roasted Brussel Sprouts. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Clean. Cut in half. Toss sprouts in olive and season with kosher salt & pepper. Roast on a sheet for 35-40 minutes. Eat. Ben swears they are as good as candy.



I also enjoyed bouquets beaming with tones of chartreuse & white. Flowers give me inspiration and force me to think about spring and designing garden beds and educating myself about vegetable gardening.
Here's wishing all of you happiness and inspiration this week from the small details of your life. - J

3 comments:

Karen said...

Happy Valentine's Week to your family! We celebrated with gluten free pizza for dinner and chocolate covered strawberries :)

The Salty Dogs said...

Yes, we're saving for his teenage years. If there's any money left after the grocery bills, maybe he can go to college. Thanks for the yummy dinner and making the awesome towel, not just once but twice!

boatbaby said...

I never realized i liked brussel sprouts until I had them roasted... yum!