2.01.2011

Fantastic. Forty. Friends.

When you're happy like a fool

let it take you over.

When everything is out

you've got to take it in.


- Good Life by One Republic


Last weekend, I was washed away when my close friends threw a belated celebration for my 40th birthday. The theme of "Happiness is.."was woven into the event in a way that leaves me overflowing with emotions of gratitude, pride, love, and joy. And all of the moments were captured by my incredibly talented friend Jana Bannan.


Oh the details..seriously where to I start. The handmade decor ranged from personalized wine glass markers to place mats & napkin rings to embroidered aprons. And Shannon & Christina masterfully threaded color and theme through out the event. The party was a perfect melange of Anne-Taintor-takes-on-the-Barefoot-Contessa - a unique combination of humor, beautiful details, and flavorful dishes.

First of all, check out our personalized aprons. There was even one child-sized apron for Alex. Of course I realize that I’m wearing hers when my friends say, “Jen we know that you’re tall, but that’s ridiculous!” Yes, It looked like a micro mini.

Directed by Chef Steph, we all prepared the brunch of Porcini-Chestnut Soup, Spinach & Goat Cheese Frittata, Prosciutto-Wrapped Romaine Hearts, & Dulche de Leche Cheesecake Bars. The hostess Christina was thoughtful to incorporate my love of cooking into the day.

Making the Cheesecake bars proved to be the hardest task, seeing that most of us desired to eat the 8 cups of carmel instead of use it as an ingredient. I did notice that a few teaspoons happened to randomly fall into coffee mugs. But when those bars were served with a sprinkling of salt, oh baby, it was worth the wait!


The party flowed into the afternoon filled with portraits, Mimosa, and a degree of lounging.



This celebration was not about me, but about us, about the value of friendship. I am blessed. I am graced. And J’adore these strong, artistic, intelligent, funny, loving women (including those who were missing). They are my pillar & pillow when I'm raw & broken with loss. They are my inspiration. And they are an extension of the rapture & joy of my everyday life. My tribe.


"To love and to be loved is to feel the sun from both sides." - David Viscott


For now I bask in the warmth. Thank you Christina, Shannon, & Jana for blowing me away. I love you bunches.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Where is the LIKE button?!?

Fabulous party. We are all very blessed to have you as a friend. I am especially fortunate to be able to say we've known each other for over 40 years!

Unknown said...

That looks like the most WONDERFUL day. And guess what? I think you girls look like you are twenty something. NO way can you be forty! Wow. What an amazing party. Love it! I love happiness. I think we need more of it in this beautiful world we live in.

dig this chick said...

Happy 40th! Awesome.

Hey, a winner from a giveaway long ago never replied and I redid the random number thingie and you won!

http://www.digthischickmt.com/2010/11/hump-day-nuggets-soup-no-soup.html

Email me at digthischick@gmail.com with your address!

Happy birthday, mama.